Sunday, October 16, 2016

Campione TT 25mm Tubular Tires | Maxxis | Bicycle Tire Review

Maxxis Campione TT tubular tires are super fast and supple. Big box packaging includes orange valve extender and pink or orange valve cap. I thought I ordered the normal Campione, but I received the Campione TT which does not include a puncture protection layer. I'm now glad I did because they feel very supple and fast.


Maxxis Campione TT 25mm tubular road bike tires


After riding Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubulars in a narrow 700 x 21 size I wanted to try a wider 700 x 25 tire. While I enjoyed the supple Vittoria with a latex inner, I decided to try a wider tire with a butyl rubber inner. I figure the wider size tubular will still give me a smooth and supple ride, and the butyl rubber inner will be a bit more convenient and durable in the long run.

Claimed weight for the Maxxis Campione TT 700 x 25 tubular tire is 265 grams. My scale measured 273 grams without the valve. Pretty close given the allowable differences in scale accuracy. For reference, the Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 700 x 21 tubular tire weighed 236 grams.


Maxxis Campione TT 25mm Road Bike Tubular Tires


I dry-mounted the Maxxis tubulars on a clean Zipp 404 Firecrest rim and let sit at 145 psi for three days. This was necessary in order to ensure easier mounting later after all glue stages. I have found this imperative when mounting tubular tires with butyl rubber inners from Maxxis, Continental and Mavic. Vittoria tubular tires with latex inners only require 24 hours of dry-mounting to stretch them out. Mounting them is much easier and requires far less elbow grease.


Maxxis Campione TT 25mm tubular tire tread pattern.


After the final layers of glue were applied the tubs dried for 24 hours. Then I went out for a test ride. The wider 25mm tire with butyl rubber negated the advantages latex inners found in the narrower tubs. Pedaling straight down flat roads the tires picked up speed quickly and hummed along nicely. Cornering in tight crit courses and descending was phenomenal. The wider size allowed for lower tire pressure set at 92 psi rear and 89 psi front which translates into nice and smooth rolling all day. I weigh 140 pounds (64 kilograms). The wider size also makes it easier for me to keep my line straight when riding in strong gusty winds.


Maxxis Campione TT 25mm tubular road bike race tires


I've only had two flats using the Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubulars over the course of 15 months of hard riding rain or shine. Vittoria Pit Stop did the trick both times quickly and easily. The new Maxxis Campione TT 25mm tubulars have been rolling nice and easy with no issues and minimal signs of wear since February. It might be too early to call, but I'd say these are more durable than the Corsa CX tires. I've never been one to baby bikes or parts as I like to race and commute on the same gear. With that said I feel confident commuting, doing longer rides, and racing with my new Maxxis tires.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to share this review with us. I enjoyed the informative details that you provided about this tire. Have a great day and keep up these wonderful posts.
    Greg Prosmushkin

    ReplyDelete